Whether you live in a mountain cabin or a city loft, plant spirits present themselves to us everywhere. Since its first printing in 1995, Plant Spirit Medicine has passed hand-to-hand among countless readers drawn to indigenous spirituality and all things alive and green. In this updated edition, Eliot Cowan invites us to discover the healing power of plants—not merely their physical medicinal properties, but the deeper wisdom and gifts that they offer.
Enriched by many new insights, this guide unfolds as a series of chapters on how plant spirit medicine helped Cowan resolve specific challenges in his own healing journey and in his work with others. In the telling, we learn how plant spirits can directly communicate with and aid all of us, including:
- Plant spirit medicine's five-element view of healing
- Ways to assess our own states of health and balance
- Receiving guidance from plants, including those found within herbal preparations
- New passages on community and sacred plants such as peyote, marijuana, and tobacco
- Additional interviews with plant shamans across diverse traditions, and more